Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Durham Farmer's Market


My new Saturday morning ritual involves a trek to Downtown Durham to what I call the "Freshest Market". (Not to be confused with the Fresh Market in Raleigh and Cary) I speak of the new Durham Farmer's Market. Doning jeans, a tee shirt and sunglasses I arrive and find a quick parking space. (Parking is abundant). Located in the Central Park District on Foster Street, just a few blocks from the Downtown YMCA, this Market can best be described as an affordable "boutique" Farmer's Market. Only the best produce, meats, herbs, flowers, pastries and artisians gather here. During the short stroll from the parking lot, I anticipated my fresh brewed coffee, ground from whole organic beans and brewed fresh hourly right in the middle of the Market. The sounds of a banjo, bass and toe tapping lull me to this lively spot where the very young to the very...well not so young gather week after week. There is goodness on every corner here. The new potatoes were dug up yesterday, the eggs gathered early this morning. Fresh herbs, romaine and bib lettuce, honey, mozerella cheese, vine ripe tomatoes, fresh cut irises and gerber daisies, grain fed angus beef and the most delectable French Bread around. Arriving before the 8:00 AM crowd of patrons, most of these vendors start their day at 2:00 AM. The patience and care shines through in the quality of these goods!

After gathering my weekly rations of eggs, strawberries, cucumbers and tomatoes (the bread sold out by 9:30 AM) I hear a voice. "Take this and plant it in your yard. It's a sunflower plant. Happy Mother's Day". It was the voice of a complete stranger offering to me a random act of kindness. I was so touched. In a huge way this simple act confirmed my belief in the common goodness that represents MY DURHAM. I smiled all the way back to the car. That, I thought is what makes this place so darn special! http://www.durhamfarmersmarket.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi linda!
this is leah, judy, noah and eric. and leah is writing. :) i heard that you saw my mom, dad and my brother at the durham farmer's market the other day! how exciting...i love the blog so far and i can't wait to see what else will be written. i am a HUGE durham lover; i think it is the best town and it deserves more love than it has been getting in the past. i am joining you in your "quest" to get people to realize the REAL durham, our durham. i will check this blog often, and if you need any help from our family, we will gladly be there! we are true durhamites, as you are. good luck with everything!
durham, love yourself!
leah
(and family)